Japanese Beginners 2 Unit
Teacher 2024 - Mrs Rikako Degens
What will I be doing in this course?
In the Preliminary and HSC course students are able to begin the study of the language, developing knowledge and understanding through the integrated use of listening, speaking, reading and writing. The ability to understand spoken Japanese and to converse in Japanese will be developed. At all levels every opportunity will be taken to extend knowledge and appreciation of Japanese society and culture and relate it to the language study.
Main topics covered:
• Personal World - Self, Family & Friends
• General (numbers, time, dates, weather)
• Home / Neighbourhood and School Life
• Leisure activities
• Travel and Tourism
• Shops and Services
• Future Plans
What should I be able to do at the end of the course?
• be able to converse with a native Japanese speaker at an elementary level;
• have an understanding of Japanese culture and society;
• understand different ways of life at home and abroad;
• have a better understanding of how languages work;
• have the potential to apply Japanese to work, further study, training or leisure.
How will I be assessed?
Assessment in Beginners Japanese will involve written papers, oral and aural examinations.
This course is designed for students who have little or no previous knowledge of the language.
Students will be required to have a text as well as a Japanese – English; English – Japanese dictionary.
How will this course help me in the future?
The ability to communicate in another language will enhance a student's vocational opportunities in the spheres of trade, business, banking, immigration, education and tourism. The study of a second language also provides students with knowledge, understanding and skills that form a valuable foundation for a range of courses at university and other tertiary institutions.